Saturday, October 24, 2015

GEORGE P. CORKINOS


When my nephew and I proof read the death notice for my father, George P. Corkinos, we both missed that extraneous "r" at first. Everything we have done as a family this past week has been in a collective state of disbelief. It is hard to accept that this man is no longer here with us. Usually when a human reaches the age of 91, people shake their heads and say how sorry they are, but the word shock does not usually come up as it has this week. My father was so vivacious and charming- no one believed he was as old as he was. He had a great run.

His name, of course, was George P. Cokinos. The 'p' is important. There is my cousin, George A. Cokinos, my nephew, George S. Cokinos and and my cousin Mark, who is actually George M. Cokinos. (He has a son named George as well.) That's just off the top of my head. Believe me, I could go on.

My father was out cruising when he fell. He had been in Florida since New Year's Eve, tanning on the roof of his condo every day that the sun shone. The ship was in port in Mexico when he tumbled down the stairs, and he was taken to a hospital in Cozumel, then to one in Fort Lauderdale, but he never recovered.

He went out doing something he loved- traveling with my mother and my sister, tanned and vibrant, but not able to overcome the blow. It is a blow to us all- everyone who knew him- whether it was a brief meeting or a lifetime of friendship, he always made an impact. (I've actually felt sorry for a car salesman in his presence.)

I will be starting a new site as a memorial as some family members have requested. Please send me your memories or stories- pictures, too. (lyndalu@gmail.com) You can get to the site by hitting this link- Big George

My Dad 's life touched a lot of people. He was kind. He was funny. His sense of humor was one of a kind. His special name for me was Gunga Din. "Gunk" for short. What could be funnier than that?

Only about a million stories which I hope to keep adding here and at the new site.

Thanks, Dad. It was a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment