Saturday, June 6, 2015

Ijzerenleen: Champs Elysees of Mechelen

Because of my Fine Arts degree (I secretly wished I finished Economics or Business Management) I am appreciative of art and architecture.

I love creativity. During my elementary and high school years I used to be the artist of the class but nowadays I dabble in IT sales-marketing-promotion-incentive types of creativity for work. Not really the same but creativity is in the mind, in the personality and character of the person. One cannot argue that it’s in the DNA. A creative person will make creativity happen.

So anyway, while walking around Mechelen, I quickly noticed the lovely guild buildings on Ijzerenleen. They really stand out and I must take pictures of them.

Belgian (and Dutch) architecture is based on Gothic Renaissance architectural character. Belgian architecture though has more Baroque influence than the Dutch and one can see it clearly on its facade details.

Later, I found out that the locals dubbed Ijzerenleen street as the ‘Champs Elysees of Mechelen’. Hah cool! I was indeed correct with my hunches =)

On the Ijzerenleen you can find many traditional and specialty shops selling cigars to cheeses and wines. It is one of the main streets that leads to the Grote Markt or the big main square.

No comments:

Post a Comment