Thursday, February 6, 2014

Lake Superior Lightning and the Spirit Tree


















I was going through some older shots again last night and came across this one that I wanted to share. One of the "dream" shots that I want to get someday is a huge lightning bolt filling the sky behind the spirit tree. So far that hasn't happened, despite many tries. Whenever there is a thunderstorm heading our way that looks favorable, I head down to the tree hoping to catch that dream shot. While I haven't yet captured the giant sky-filling bolt behind the tree, I have captured some smaller ones that are quite interesting in their own right.


This is one such shot from back in June of . This particular storm was moving very slowly and as the storm hit Hat Point in Grand Portage, it changed course and headed out over the lake. This meant that I was able to photograph the lightning and the tree with minimal risk of getting wet from rainfall. I did feel a few drops here and there, but most of the storm was out over the lake so I stayed pretty dry. Most of the lightning was "heat lightning", which just flashes up in the clouds, but there were a few bolts as well. This was the best picture of a bolt that I captured that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment